Ostrowe’s Birthday + St. Patricks Day + March Madness = Perfect recipe for a running diary.
(Note: This Running Diary is being written two weeks after the fact. The odds of remembering what all these notes were about is very slim. They also had no times with them, so your guess is as good as mine)
– Rick gets stuck at work a little longer than he would like on a Friday during March Madness. The gents have been out all day having taken the day off. Currently they are at the 13th Step. Rick joins Poppers, Daryl, Dmo, Hutter, Trustey, and Eddie O for the end of the Missouri Game. Ostrowe is currently MIA because he went out for birthday dinner family. Shockingly, since Kristen was involved, they are eating at a B.R. Guest establishment.
– Missouri in on the ropes against the 15 seed Norfolk State. After a chalky day one, everyone is foaming at the mouth for a juicy upset. With 30 seconds left, Jmac leaves to go see the Lorax with LB knowing full well the running diary will ridicule him. Sunshine and Rainbows.
– Norfolk State wins. Everyone is now ecstatic including people like Rick who had Missouri in their final four.
– 13th step is terrible for games. Bad TV coordination. The three TVs in front of us have the Knicks game flanked by the TBS game on the other two TVs.
– Otis Livingston’s twitter handle is O_smoov24. That is pretty awesome. (Note: For the games on Sunday, Otis gave into corporate pressure and his Twitter handle was changed to OLivingston24)
– Lehigh is hanging with Duke early in their game. No way they stay close for 40 minutes
– Jim$ shows up. He is the best dressed person in this bar. He is also among the oldest. Dmo and Daryl are very drunk
– Jim$ came here to buy Ostrowe a tic tac, but he is not here. He settles for receiving millions from Hutter
– Dmo is looking extra Dempseyish today
– Jim$ leaves. If there was 13th Step stock, everyone would be selling right now.
– Dmo, Hutter, and Daryl pull a simultaneous Irish exit. Poppers, Rick, Eddie O, and Trustey head back to Standings
– Ostrowe is back and already complaining about Standings.
– Lehigh still hanging around. After they make a three, the entire bar cheers:
Duke Girl: Did all these people go to Lehigh? I didn’t realize they had so many fans?
Guy: No. Everyone just hates your team
– Lehigh wins! Missouri off the hook as most people will remember Duke losing and not care about them as much.
– Trustey tells Rick he can get him HSBC Premier membership while showing off pictures of his ankle trauma. Somehow, Rick once again escapes without seeing a picture of Trustey penis.
– On the subway back uptown, Ostrowe and Rick find an unmailed letter. After much debate, Ostrowe cites his civic duty as a mailman to make sure this letter gets mailed. He picks up the envelope and carries it back to Rick’s apartment. Despite passing multiple mailboxes, Ostrowe is dead set on using the mailslot on Rick’s floor. Rick gets off the elevator on the the 13th floor so he can take a picture of the mail falling. He misses the shot so Ostrowe drops a chinese food menu down the slot.
– The plan today is to head down to Molly’s for a St. Paddys celebration. Syracuse is playing at 12:15 so Rick want’s to get there before then. Of course, instead of getting ready, Rick and Ostrowe watch 5 episodes of the Simpsons
– Joyce is fidgety. He is already texting Rick and Ostrowe. It is 11:45
– Cab to Molly’s. Rick hates cabs. When all is said and done, he will take way to many cabs on this day.
– When they get to 23rd st, Rick opens the door and it flies open into the van on the corner. Ostrowe stands by in hysterics as the van owner yells at Rick for damaging her car. Rick points out there are no marks. She tells Rick he would not be happy if he owned a car. Rick does not disagree.
– We’ve been here for 10 minutes already, but have not got any death stares yet. Win?
– Rick is on the floor watching Cuse not paying attention to anything else. Running Diary on hold since Rick is not aware of anything else going on.
– Cuse wins. Life can resume.
– In a shocking turn of events Jmac can’t decide if he is coming or not. He is currently in the land of Sunshine and Rainbows. Eventually, he gets his head out of his ass and heads straight for Molly’s instead of going to the gym.
– Rick goes back to his college days and starts throwing paper airplanes out the window. He has forgotten how much fun this was.
– The part moves to Royale as in “do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in England? Royale with cheese”
– The girls head out to the back patio while Joyce posts up at a spot by the door and the TV. What a gentleman
– Jim$, Jenn, Dmo, and Melissa show up to add to the gentlemanliness of the front corner.
– Rick may or may not have had a Tic Tac
– No East Village trip is complete without a stop at DOS. As a non-drinker, Rick can’t stand this place.
– Greg is a dick
– Joyce leaves to get his stuff. Says he will be back. He won’t be
– Rick and Ostrowe go to Dorian Grey’s with John and LB to meet up with her friends
– Ostrowe pretends to have a phone call. He smoothly walks out for a nice irish exit. While Jmac is looking at his phone, Rick pretends to have a call as well and just walks out in not smooth fashion
– Rick and Ostrowe wind up at Mayahuel. Some random unlabeled bar from a bad Stefon joke
– Among their random drinks, they have one called the Chester Copperpot. Why a mexican restaurant would have a drink named after a character from the Goonies, I will never know. Ostrowe has to get it. It is terrible
– Prematurely call it a night while accomplishing nothing. Expectedly.