Know the secret to making a top notch egg sandwich at home
After pizza, the second best NY specialty is bagels. No one is quite sure why NY bagels are better than ones in the rest of the country, but the go to explanation these days is “the water.” The greatness of NY bagels can be further magnified by getting an egg sandwich on said bagel. A few years ago I bought bagels and tried to make a sandwich at home, however, try as I might, I was never able to replicate the tastiness of one from the store. Until two weeks ago.
1) Optional – I do this, but it is not a required step. Butter the bagel and place it face down on the skillet. Let the bread cook as long as you see fit
2) Remove from heat. Place one slice of cheese on the bagel
3) Cook eggs however you prefer. Scrambled for me.
4) Place eggs on bagel. Feel free to add bacon or sausage
5) Close sandwich
6) Most important step. Up until now, all the steps are kind of what you prefer. But when you get here, this is the step that makes a difference:
WRAP THE SANDWICH IN TIN FOIL AND LET IT SIT FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES
I don’t know what kind of witchcraft is at work here, but the tin foil creates a bagel oven which fuses all the ingredients together for maximum tastiness.
7) Cut in half
If you have missed any rules in the past, here is the full list